Tuesday, April 8, 2008

One week to go...

Well, my sister arrives in town this Friday night with her kids and then next week at this time I will be in an operating room having a c-section. In the meantime, this week is packed full of appointments for Kyle and preparations for next week.

I finally got the bedroom in order and the family heirloom cradle cleared out for Audrey and I've sorted all the baby clothes we've gotten so that the newborn items are readily available. It's great having a baby after several of my friends. I was really the first one in my group of friends to get pregnant so with Hannah I had to start from scratch and get all new stuff pretty much. My sister-in-law, Rachel, managed to get some hand-me-downs from a co-worker of hers but other than that, I was pretty much on my own. This time around, though, a few of my friends have had babies and I'm getting Hannah's hand-me-downs back plus more! It's great. I also had a huge stock of maternity clothes to pull from because, like the baby clothes, they've been recycled through a few pregnancies with additions.

I've gotten so used to relying on my mom for so much the past few months and I hadn't realized how much I had counted on her help this last week. Unfortunately, she has been otherwise occupied the past week or so...

My parents have been living with my grandparents (my mom's parents) for a while now, in large part to help out with my grandfather's care. He has dementia that has been getting steadily worse and had recently been put under Hospice care at home. Well, Sunday before last, he fell (not the first time by far) in the middle of the night. When my dad came out to help, my grandmother turned to look at him and also fell. She broke her hip! She was brought to a hospital and my grandfather was brought to an emergency admittance Hospice nursing home. Luckily, the orthopaedic surgeon was shown the X-rays for my grandmother on his way out the door and he agreed to do the full hip replacement surgery that same morning since he was booked through the week but it was very clear that my grandmother needs extensive rehabilitative therapy for her hip. My grandfather has since been moved to a more permanent nursing home with a specialized dementia program and my grandmother is on the rehabilitative floor of Suncoast Hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment